In a joint organization of the Civil Parish of Evoramonte and the Municipality of Estremoz with the support of the Regional Directorate of Culture of Alentejo, Evoramonte celebrated on May 25th the 185 Years of the Signature of its Peace Treaty (Convention of Evoramonte) which ended the Portuguese Civil War of the first half of the nineteenth century.
The Commemorations began at 3:00 p.m. with a concert by the Band of Veiros Philharmonic Society followed by a visit to the recently restored quarters of the house where the Convention was signed on May 26, 1834 – the House of the Convention – where an indicative exhibition of what will be the Interpretation Center of the Évora Monte Convention, in the near future. During this visit was announced by the Municipality of Estremoz the approval by Turismo de Portugal Institute of the candidacy presented by this autarchy, which will allow to finance the installation of this Interpretation Center.
In the Tower/palace of Evoramonte, Dr. Hugo Guerreiro, Historian and Director of the Municipal Museum of Estremoz gave a lecture under the theme “Notes on the Evoramonte Convention” in which he considered that the Convention is the “main identity element of Evoramonte” by presenting a probative list in which he included the fact that the international network ENPP (Places of Peace) has its headquarters in this Portuguese village.
The Commemorations ended with a Concert by the Band of Veiros Philharmonic Society, in the Tower / Paço de Evoramonte.