Why is Altranstädt a Place of Peace
The Peace of Altranstädt was an important intermediate stage in the Great Northern War (1700-1721), which dealt with the imperial domination of the Baltic region between the Russian Tsarist Kingdom and the Kingdom of Sweden.
In 1697, the Saxon Elector August II (the Strong) was crowned Polish-Lithuanian king. He became not only one of the richest and most powerful European rulers, but also a factor in any European conflict constellation because of the geographical location of his empire.
The Swedish king Karl XII occupied Poland and in 1704 forced August to relinquish the Polish crown. In 1706 he also occupied Saxony and set up his quarters in Altranstädt.
On September 24, 1706 August let a separate peace in Altranstädt negotiations.
In it he renounced the Polish crown and the alliance with Russia and swore “eternal friendship” with Sweden. He was dissatisfied with that and hoped for backing from the European powers, but in November he had to sign and ratify the original version. The guarantor powers were Brandenburg-Prussia, Great Britain and the Netherlands.
Closely related to peace is the Altranstadt Convention of 1707, the Catholic emperor, who at this time was at war with France and Hungary, did not want a permanent conflict with Sweden. Thus, in Silesia, six churches” were granted to the Protestants in order to ward off intervention pretexts on the part of the Protestant powers.
Read more and bibliography: The Peace of Altranstädt (pdf, 45kb)