The Association for the Promotion of Altranstädt Castle (Germany), a ENPP member, was awarded with the prize “With soul and heart for Saxony” for its volunteer work for the recovery and animation of that important German historical monument, in which the so-called “Peace of Altranstädt” was signed during the Great Northern War (1700-1721) between the Russian Tsarist Empire and the Kingdom of Sweden.
The award (“Mit Herzblut für Sachsen” in German) was presented to the Association on 1 December by the Minister of State of Saxony, Mr. Michael Kretschmer.
The achievement of this award was received with great enthusiasm by the members of the Association who expressed their willingness to continue this work, within Germany and within the framework of the European Network of Places of Peace.

The Association for the Promotion of the Castle of Altranstädt (Germany), a member of the ENPP, celebrated last November 11 the 100th anniversary of the end of the 1st World War.
The members of the association gathered in the square in front of the World War I Memorial and kept a minute of silence in memory of all the victims of this world conflict of the first quarter of the twentieth century.

In a brief address, the President of the Association, Hellmuth Matthes stressed the importance of all joint efforts for the preservation of Peace and considered that the European Network of Places of Peace is a cornerstone for understanding people to continue this historic task.

The treaty of Passarowitz (today, Pozarevác, Republic of Serbia) was concluded 300 years ago in 1718 after the military victories of the Habsburg Monarchy against the Ottoman Empire that originally started war on the Republic of Venice. After the first commemoration at the Michel Montaigne University in Bordeaux in June, another international conference was held by the Institute of History of the Hungarian Academy of Science in Budapest on 27-28 September 2018. The papers given by the participants coming from Hungary, France, Turkey, Poland, Romania, Austria and Serbia emphasised the importance of both treaties concluded at the same time. The actual peace treaty reflected the military situation, liberating the whole territory of the ancient Kingdom of Hungary from Ottoman occupation but rendering the region of Morea from under Venetian authority to that of the Turks. Apart from the diplomatic aspects of the negotiations, the speakers also underlined that the fate of Ferenc II Rákóczi and his fellow emigrants was also sealed by the treaty of Passarowitz. The second treaty concerned commerce and provided the Habsburg Monarchy with the same privileges that had only been granted to France in the previous period. The participants concluded that due to the political and commercial outcome of the peace treaty of Passarowitz, it should be considered as important as those of Westphalia and Utrecht.

The organization of the Commemorations of 300 Years of Passarowitz Peace Treaty had the participation of Dr. Tóth Ferenc, member of Hungarian Academy of Science and also member of the Scientific Council of Places of Peace Route.

The German city of Bautzen (Saxony) is the latest ENPP member, represented by the association STEINHAUS, e.V. which works closely with the local municipality.

The city of Bautzen is located in Saxony, Germany with about 40.000 inhabitants and on January 1018 a Peace Treaty between the Holy Roman Empire and Poland was signed in the city. A wide array of cultural and scientific events took place in the city throughout this year commemorating 1.000 years of this Peace Treaty.

DELEGATION OF ENPP VISITED BAUTZEN

On 28th September, morning, a delegation of ENPP composed of its President, Eduardo Basso, the Vice-President, Ulf Müller, the Chairman of the AGM, Hellmuth Matthes visited the city where were received by  the Director of the Association  STEINHAUS, e.V.  Bautzen,  Mr. Torsten Wiegel and had the opportunity to know more about the headquarters and activities of this association. During the meeting with Mr. Torsten Wiegel various issues related to the membership of the city and its integration into the Places of Peace Route were also discussed.

The ENPP delegation was also received by the Mayor of Bautzen, Mr. Alexander Ahrens, who, in a gesture of great hospitality, himself led a guided tour of the Town Hall building as well as all of the city’s Historic Center.

 

 

The Association for the Promotion of  Altranstädt Castle in Germany, founding member of ENPP, celebrated the Open Monument Day 2018 with several events which attracted many visitors to the place where on September 24, 1706 an Interim Peace was signed during the Great Northern War (1700-1721) between August II, the Strong and Karl XII, of Sweden, known as “Peace of Altranstädt”.

The day began precisely with a historical recreation of the day of the signing of this Treaty, in charge of an association of the city of Dresden specializing in historical events: arrival of the kings to the Castle, ceremony of signature of the Treaty and participation in a religious event in the Church annexed to the Castle where a sermon was given relating the visit of the kings to Altranstädt with the day of the Open Monument that was then celebrated.

After attending this historic recreation, the numerous visitors had the opportunity to make guided visits to the Castle, either individually or in groups, which allowed them to know more about the history of this important monument as well as about the historical events that took place on it and to taste the delicacies specially prepared for this day by the members of the Association for the Promotion of the Castle of Altranstädt.

A concert of music and singing by the group “Altranstädter Dorfmusikanten” was the perfect end to a true “Royal Day of the Open Monument”.

On 21st September, the Municipality of Kaynardzha, Bulgaria, a member of ENPP since 2015 will organized a Bicycle Tour, coinciding with the UN World Day of Peace according the  UN General Assembly declaration  and resolution taked in 1981. For the first time this day is celebrated on the initiative of UNESCO in 1984.

Under the motto “Keeping the Peace and Remembering the Good Works of Our Ancestors”, the Bicycle Tour started at 9.30 am near the Historical Fountain Park in the village of Kaynardzha, where the Peace Treaty ending the Russian-Turkish War 1768/1774 was signed in 21st July 1774, after the greetings of the Mayor, Mr. Lyuben Sivev, about this World Peace Day but also about 22 September – the Bulgarian National Holiday commemorating the declaration of the independence of Bulgaria. The  Bicycle Tour passed on the previously announced route through the village of Kaynardja, the village of Svetoslav and reached the fountain near the village of Svetoslav, where the peace talks took place in July 1774, before the Kaynardzha Peace Treaty was signed. There the particpants planted a tree wishing for a Peaceful and Independent Bulgaria.

With this Tour it was also intended to recreate the environment of the Kaynardzha Peace Treaty negotiations, since the fountain near the village of Svetoslav was located at equal distances from the military camps of the two negotiating countries in 1774 – Russia and the Ottoman Empire; According the local tradition, the Russian Army’s headquarters were in the village of Kaynardzha  (Little Kaynardzha) and the headquarters of the Ottoman army was in today’s village of Svetoslav, which in 1774 was called Large Kaynardzha. Every day both parts went to this fountain to hold the Peace negotiations. After reaching the peace agreement, Russian General Piotr Rumyantsev invited the cook of the Turkish army to prepare a solemn table to suit the visiting Turkish generals and the representatives who signed the peace treaty. They also decided that their Ottoman guests would be decorated with distinctive signs and officers to wear medals which were obtained for heroism, transforming the signature of the Treaty into a manifestation of peaceful and benevolent relations.

On their return the participants took photos of the PLACE OF PEACE (Kaynardzha) and received gifts for their participation in the tour from the Deputy Mayor of Kaynardzha, Ms. Valentina Tokushheva.

This Tour was also the start for the development of a “peace site” around the fountain near the village of Svetoslav, so that it can be visited by pedestrians or cyclists in the future.

In parallel with the Hubertusburg Peace Talks, the exhibition of works by young students under the Peace theme as well as the presentation of their prizes, will be held at the Hubertusburg Castle at an organization of the Hubertusburg Castle Friendship Association, member of ENPP, in cooperation with the Saxon Ministry of Culture and the Saxon State Agency for Civic Education.

This contest is open to young students in two categories (12> 15 and 16> 18) and the works can be presented freely in prose, poetry, songs, pictures, videos, etc. until the 15th of June.

After a selection period by a jury appointed by the organization the winners will be awarded with a Certificate of Honor from the Saxon Ministry of Culture and rewarded with cash prizes.

This prize is already in the 5th edition and has received a growing interest from both the German schools and students and from the authorities of the Free State of Saxony, in a very interesting demonstration of the practice of promoting a culture of peace among young Europeans which has been one of the objectives of the ENPP since its foundation. At the last European meeting held in the city of Bucharest in May ENPP decided to extend this type of award to all the members of the Network.

The 7th edition of “Hubertusburg Peace Talks” will take place next 14th and 15th September at the Castle of Hubertusburg  (Wermsdorf, Germany) under the theme “Earn each other – do we live in (un) peace?” and will be organized, like the previous ones, by the Hubertusburg Castle Friendship Association, founding member of the European Network of Places of Peace. “Hubertusburg Peace Talks” is a biennial event that builds on the historic memory of the Hubertusburg Peace Treaty and brings together academics, students and various local and regional institutions in the discussion of current issues related to Peace.

The opening session will take place on 14th September at 4 pm and will be attended by members of the Association, the Minister of Culture of the Government of the Free State of Saxony, the Councilor of the District of North Saxony, Dr. Eckhardt Rexroth and the Mayor of Wermsdorf, Mathias Müller.

The various workshops that will be part of the program of the event will take place during the afternoon of September 14 and the whole of September 15 and the program also includes the already usual “Concert of Peace“, in the Catholic Church of the Castle, scheduled for 14th September at 7,30 pm..

The Hubertusburg Peace Talks have also the support of the European Network of Places of Peace.

More information: www.freundeskreis-hubertusburg.de

On 21th July 2018, two hundred forty four years since the conclusion of the Kaynardzha Peace Treaty in 1774, , Kaynardzha took place the 1st edition of Kaynardzha Peace Festival carried out in the “Historical Fountain” Park under the theme “In music, speech, painting – the peace shines brightly“.  More than 200 people participated in this Festival, 150 of whom were children and young people.

This festival was organized by  Kaynardzha Municipality and is one as one of the many events dedicated to the Peace Treaty of 1774. Since 2015, Kaynardzha has been a member of the European Network of Places of Peace (ENPP) which includes municipalities, NGOs and citizens from across Europe living in peace – the places where wars are ended and peace agreements or contracts signed.

At its last European Meeting, held in the city of Bucharest, Romania (where 4 Peace Treaties have been concluded), the European Network of Places of Peace  set to work more actively with children and youth to reach the following goals:

  1. Work to promote and enrich the culture of community peace, including the development of a local organization, to remember and respect the good work done for peace;
  2. Work with children and young people at any convenient time for the cause of peace, to explore and exchange experiences among the peoples of Europe;
  3. Draw attention to important historical moments such as the moments of concluding a peace treaty;
  4. To develop the cultural exchange and tourism of the local communities;
  5. To restore and develop the infrastructure of the historical places where a peace treaty is concluded, thus contributing to preserving Europe’s cultural heritage.

The event was solemnly opened with the anthem of the Republic of Bulgaria and a welcome speech by Mrs. Valentina Tokusheva, Deputy Mayor of Kaynardzha Municipality. Special guests at the festival were the regional governor of Silistra – Mr. Ivelin Stattev and Mr. Yordan Yordanov – municipal councilor.

From the official stand, Mr. Stattev welcomed the children for their participation and made clear that peace is the most sacred and necessary thing to preserve that we must watch daily and hourly.

The director of the festival read a salutation addressed  by Eduard Basso, President of the European Network of Peace Network, with which he strongly supports the first Kaynardzha Peace Festival and encourages his continuation in the coming years, supports the work with children and youth in order to promote  the culture of peace among the community.

The curator of the tourist visitor center at the place of peace – Mrs. Dafinka Staneva, told the children curious facts about the history of the 1774 peace treaty and also wished them a cheerful participation in the Peace Festival.

The festival program also included sessions of poetry, music and dance, a lively and very participated regional cuisine contest of the region of Dobrudja and an exhibition of drawings made by children from schools in the region under the theme of Peace.

The municipality of Kaynardzha, a member of the ENPP, organizes on July 21 when the 244 Years of the Peace Treaty of Kaynardzha are celebrated, a Peace Festival dedicated to the theme “In music and words – Make Peace Shine“.

The Treaty of Kaynardzha signed between the Russian Empire and the Ottoman Empire is the precursor of the Liberation Movement of Bulgaria that led to the Independence of this Country after 5 centuries of Ottoman occupation and therefore has a huge significance for the History of the Bulgarian People.

The Peace Festival is held at Kaynardzha Historical Fountain Park from 9 am and its program includes traditional music and dance performances, poetry sessions dedicated to peace and prosperity, exhibition of drawings by children of the schools of the Kaynardzha Municipality, Workshops for Peace with peace messages, games and cycling races for young people and children and an exhibition of traditional cakes and pies from the Dobrudzja region preceded by a competition between municipalities and a competition for the participants individuals.